Saturday 22 November 2014

How Do I Control My Animal Sprits

Current net worth USD 1,027,000

The bad news...

Ok, so for the past 3 weeks I have a net worth of over USD 1 million, so maybe I will actually stay above this threshold from now on. But, who knows. One thing is for sure - I had no idea that having all this money would come with such a great amount of anxiety. I know that my investments are right for long term growth, but I still can't help feel anxious a great deal of the time. In fact, if I don't make at least USD 1,500 on any given day on my investments, I have sense of failure, forbidding, etc. All of this is very strange, since I like to think that I am a very rational person, who knows exactly why I am feeling anxious BUT that does't mean I don't feel anxious. If i feel bad about losing USD 7,000 in one day, what would happen if my net worth dropped by 40% or 50%. I mean this has happened to the stock market twice in the past 15 years, once in 2000 and the other in 2008. I personally managed to escape both of these with only a small dip in my net worth (due to luck, not skill) but I am fully exposed now. I'll let you know how this anxiety does or does not progress in further posts.

The good news...

I am all set to be able to technically retire in about 2 to 3 years and live off my investment income, BUT I am not a single man. I actually have 2 retirements and 4 university educations to pay for, so I will need to work for a while yet - or at least a combination of my wife and I will have to work. It does feel good that I will soon be in a position that I am no longer chained to my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment